Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GENERAL FEEDBACK/ SUGGESTIONS
10-10-2015, 02:02 AM
GENERAL FEEDBACK/ SUGGESTIONS
Hello beta testers! We'd love to know what you think of Monster Roller. We welcome all kinds of feedback: changes to the current game, missing features, ideas for new stuff, etc. Feel free to post your comments and suggestions on this thread. Thank you!

You can also visit the other threads for more specific concerns:
Gameplay/Balancing
Art/Animation
Bug Reports
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: GENERAL FEEDBACK/ SUGGESTIONS
Here are some suggestions. Feel free to ignore any or all of them because I don't play this kind of games and probably don't understand them well enough.

1. After tutorial ends there is a question regarding whether or not I want to do advanced tutorial. This screen has OK/Cancel buttons. I feel that Yes/No will be more appropriate.

2. Every game tip that is shown during PvP search is shown for too short time. You can read the short ones, but there is no chance to read long ones. Make timeframe longer or even better make it dependable on tip length.

3. When I play against AI brining up Settings should pause the game. This is turn-base game, so there is no reason to keep it running while player is in menu.

4. There are too many tutorials in the beginning. After a couple of them I thought "stop holding my hand already and let me play!". There was an urge to skip the rest of them. This is especially true because first battles can be easily won without any strategy, so there is no incentive to learn any complex strategies.
Also throwing all basic tutorials at once and then opening the game makes me feel that there is no progression. Sure, my monsters are leveling up, but it has no visible impact on gameplay. There is no quest to fulfil, no boss to overcome and no mystery to unfold. In some sence there is no reason to play, because lengthy tutorial left you with a feeling that you have seen it all.
I suggest to bring up tutorials in more steady pace. Let player play a few rounds before introducing a new mechanic. If he discovers something on his own - that's even better, just skip that tutorial. If not, then introduce new game mechanics one by one. This will also give game another layer of progression, which should help in keeping player's interest in playing this game.

5. This can be hard to implement and balance, but I feel that AI should also have an ability to stop spinning wheel "by tapping it". He shouldn't be always perfect, in fact he can fail miserably in critical moment, or in contrary turning the tide when his game was almost lost. This can bring some tension in last stages of the battle, because right now you usually can tell the outcome several turns before it's happening (so finishing the battle is a routine, not fun).
Also there is no reason (from lore perspective) why I can do this trick and my opponent can't.

6. It would be nice to being able to skip animation by tapping on the screen just like we can skip dialogs in other games.

7. Coin falling & jackpot animations are cool and interesting only so many times. After a while, they become more and more annoying. "I already saw this animation, I know that something cool is about to happen, let me see it already!". They are too long to be just a clue of "something awesome is coming", they are an event themself. And since there are too few of them, you start to hate them too early in the game.
Make them shorter, make them skippable and make them more. The best is to involve your monsters. If player see not just some everyday coins falling, but his personal monster reaction to this, he will be more happy and more engaged.

That's it for now. If I have more ideas I will write back.
10-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks, @azyryanov

1. After tutorial ends there is a question regarding whether or not I want to do advanced tutorial. This screen has OK/Cancel buttons. I feel that Yes/No will be more appropriate.

-- Sure, we'll do this.

2. Every game tip that is shown during PvP search is shown for too short time. You can read the short ones, but there is no chance to read long ones. Make timeframe longer or even better make it dependable on tip length.

-- We'll probably make the timeframe longer for all.

3. When I play against AI brining up Settings should pause the game. This is turn-base game, so there is no reason to keep it running while player is in menu.

-- Our programmer says this is a bug! It used to stop. We're looking into it, thanks.

4. There are too many tutorials in the beginning. After a couple of them I thought "stop holding my hand already and let me play!". There was an urge to skip the rest of them. This is especially true because first battles can be easily won without any strategy, so there is no incentive to learn any complex strategies. Also throwing all basic tutorials at once and then opening the game makes me feel that there is no progression. Sure, my monsters are leveling up, but it has no visible impact on gameplay. There is no quest to fulfil, no boss to overcome and no mystery to unfold. In some sence there is no reason to play, because lengthy tutorial left you with a feeling that you have seen it all. I suggest to bring up tutorials in more steady pace. Let player play a few rounds before introducing a new mechanic. If he discovers something on his own - that's even better, just skip that tutorial. If not, then introduce new game mechanics one by one. This will also give game another layer of progression, which should help in keeping player's interest in playing this game.

-- Thanks for the suggestion. We're discussing right now how doable it is Smile I agree that the tutorial is too long.

5. This can be hard to implement and balance, but I feel that AI should also have an ability to stop spinning wheel "by tapping it". He shouldn't be always perfect, in fact he can fail miserably in critical moment, or in contrary turning the tide when his game was almost lost. This can bring some tension in last stages of the battle, because right now you usually can tell the outcome several turns before it's happening (so finishing the battle is a routine, not fun). Also there is no reason (from lore perspective) why I can do this trick and my opponent can't.

-- We're putting this in the 'maybe' bucket.

6. It would be nice to being able to skip animation by tapping on the screen just like we can skip dialogs in other games.

-- We're also putting this in the 'maybe' bucket Big Grin

7. Coin falling & jackpot animations are cool and interesting only so many times. After a while, they become more and more annoying. "I already saw this animation, I know that something cool is about to happen, let me see it already!". They are too long to be just a clue of "something awesome is coming", they are an event themself. And since there are too few of them, you start to hate them too early in the game. Make them shorter, make them skippable and make them more. The best is to involve your monsters. If player see not just some everyday coins falling, but his personal monster reaction to this, he will be more happy and more engaged.

-- I agree that it gets tedious. We'll see if we can put in a setting to reduce animation and just show information. (Kind of like Advance Wars.) -- But this is kind of tricky to do considering our long wishlist, so it is going under 'Maybe'.
10-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Ok, here are some other things that grabs my attention:

1. You can enable autoplay during tutorial. This is weird: either you learn something by doing it yourself or just skip it altogether. So I suggest to disable autoplay in tutorial or ask player if he wants to skip to next lesson when he clicks that button.

2. I've tried to play against around 50-level NPC. Enemy monsters have 3 times more health but do about the same amount of damage. This instantly makes whole leveling system meaningless: if you have to gain 50 levels just to be not-so-much healthier then what's the point of gaining levels? And ultimately what's the point of playing the game?
High-level monsters should destroy you in instant if you are underpowered. They must make player wish he can reach them and defeat them. Otherwise there is no joy in doing so.

3. Why do we have time limit in solo play? Since we can easily pause the game this time limit only impact issuing commands, not making decisions. Do you really need time limit for user interface?
10-27-2015, 07:40 PM
@azyryanov

Hey there, thanks for your notes! here are our replies:

1. You can enable autoplay during tutorial. This is weird: either you learn something by doing it yourself or just skip it altogether. So I suggest to disable autoplay in tutorial or ask player if he wants to skip to next lesson when he clicks that button.

-- This has been disabled in the latest build.

2. I've tried to play against around 50-level NPC. Enemy monsters have 3 times more health but do about the same amount of damage. This instantly makes whole leveling system meaningless: if you have to gain 50 levels just to be not-so-much healthier then what's the point of gaining levels? And ultimately what's the point of playing the game?

High-level monsters should destroy you in instant if you are underpowered. They must make player wish he can reach them and defeat them. Otherwise there is no joy in doing so.

--Yes, we agree that the later levels are really unbalanced. We've actually had someone finish the game (collect all monsters, beat all levels in all difficulties, earn lots of cash) in around 4 days. We're working to fix the level scaling.

-- The other question -- which other testers have also brought up -- is the WHY. We're adding a story to address that and working to give the game a more personal feel. In the latest update the monsters all have story-related descriptions, and a story will be included when we release the game on iTunes/Google.

3. Why do we have time limit in solo play? Since we can easily pause the game this time limit only impact issuing commands, not making decisions. Do you really need time limit for user interface?

(We're thinking about this one.)

Thanks a lot for the notes Smile
11-05-2015, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 05:46 PM by azyryanov.)
I have two suggestions regarding hatching an egg:
1. When you're getting a new monster it will be nice to see its encyclopedia entry right away.
2. Input box for entering new monster's name can be closed by clicking on cross. I think that it must be removed. Or replace it with "Use default name" button.

Also (this is just my personal opinion) monster descriptions are too generic to care. It's nice that we have them, but I forget what I've read the moment I'm done reading.
11-06-2015, 02:05 AM
@azyryanov Thanks for the suggestions! They're much appreciated.
11-19-2015, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 11:23 AM by jomarcenter.)
This is marvin (We met at ESGS) And after trying the game indepth a bit I would going to tell which is missing and which is problematic and I will just gonna also repeat what I say at ESGS.
Version 1.5
1. lack of storyline or plot/lore - Well some game are good without knowing the game's universe or it's lore but due to the nature of the game, It very confusing on why are we doing this and why are we battling the monster? Why there such thing I mean the monster is our companion or something much wrost? It would be nice if there some kind of a lore telling the game's own story.
2. Too much grinding - Ok it kinda a but boring that you just select a level then grind your monster level repeately.
3. Long tutorial - The tutorial is too long, My suggestion to make the tutorial by parts as in how to do this and that. Like some game have specific level for tutorial purposes.
4. initial battles are OP - Ok first stage/level is kinda OP when your enemy can spam poison on your team. and the second level spamming freaking stun on them.
5. the current Stun icon should be just a confusion icon - It would be good if the stun icon could be a monster inflicted with electric stun then a swirly icon since it kinda much better if it just become a confusion icon.
6. player's repetitive playing the same level due to the fact the reward are the same - it kinda became boring if you have to do a lower level/stage repetitive if each reward return are the same i mean I seeing 50 bet on all stages.
7. Item system - it kinda a bit good if you have an item system in place if you need it like healing potion or a power potion at a cost of a turn.
8. Skip tutorial to confusion - I think a text help or if you can repeat a tutorial is necessary. but testing the game and seeing the help screen in-game is unavailable.

I think I covered the other and new problems I found with the game. since ESGS and hopefully you guys can improved the game.
Bugs:
1. When ask to me on getting reward by watching ads, I was supposed to get 1000 gold but nope... Nothing happened after the ads.
2. Store - scrolling up and down cause a bug on glitching on the top section of it.

I just recently created a forum account since I received the beta e-mail late can you guy gave me a beta badge. thanks. Smile
-MJM
11-19-2015, 01:43 PM
@jomarcenter Hi Marvin, beta badge added!
I'll let Sara address your other concerns. Smile
11-20-2015, 01:03 AM
Hello jomarcenter!

1. lack of storyline or plot/lore - Well some game are good without knowing the game's universe or it's lore but due to the nature of the game, It very confusing on why are we doing this and why are we battling the monster? Why there such thing I mean the monster is our companion or something much wrost? It would be nice if there some kind of a lore telling the game's own story.

-- I think you're using the older build. You can still update the beta build, the latest one has a story. The link is: https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/2e7bb778...5f2022f28a

Since the beta has ended, though, the build will not be compatible for PVP with the live one coming up this December due to a difference in stat rebalancing.

2. Too much grinding - Ok it kinda a but boring that you just select a level then grind your monster level repeately.

We're hoping the game's story alleviates it. The idea is to make the grind fun.

3. Long tutorial - The tutorial is too long, My suggestion to make the tutorial by parts as in how to do this and that. Like some game have specific level for tutorial purposes.

Fixed in latest beta build.

4. initial battles are OP - Ok first stage/level is kinda OP when your enemy can spam poison on your team. and the second level spamming freaking stun on them.

This is rebalanced in the latest available beta build. Part of the problem, I think, is that we're also not introducing what the other monsters can do (like Totoduck can remove stuns.)

5. the current Stun icon should be just a confusion icon - It would be good if the stun icon could be a monster inflicted with electric stun then a swirly icon since it kinda much better if it just become a confusion icon.

Sure, We'll use an electric stun when it's possible to update the game.

6. player's repetitive playing the same level due to the fact the reward are the same - it kinda became boring if you have to do a lower level/stage repetitive if each reward return are the same i mean I seeing 50 bet on all stages.

You can make the bet higher for more of a reward, but the enemy levels go up as well Tongue

7. Item system - it kinda a bit good if you have an item system in place if you need it like healing potion or a power potion at a cost of a turn.

We discussed this at an early part of the game -- the game actually is complicated, because the monsters have different specialties. The tricky thing is showing the different abilities of the monsters rather than adding another feature.

8. Skip tutorial to confusion - I think a text help or if you can repeat a tutorial is necessary. but testing the game and seeing the help screen in-game is unavailable.

We'll be working on the online wiki for now, but having a replayable tutorial is definitely on the feature list.

Thanks a lot for the notes Smile We've gotten your survey form and we'll add your name to the credits.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)